Associate Professor, Department of General Systems Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo. Also, cooperating faculty in the new Graduate Program on Environmental Sciences (GPES)
- Assistant Professor, Tokyo Institute of Technology Global Edge Institute
- Senior Member, NASA/Caltech Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Artificial Intelligence Group. I worked on many projects, including:
- ASPEN automated planning/system for spacecraft autonomy. This was the basis of the automated planner which controls the NASA Earth Observing-1 satellite.
- Cloud and dust devil detection algorithms for the Spirit and Opportunity Mars Exploration Rovers. These algorithms were uploaded to the rovers, as part of a software update.
- Spacecraft design optimization, evolvable hardware
- Senior Developer, Blue Pumpkin Software (now part of Verint Systems), where I worked on a widely used staff scheduling system
- University of California, Los Angeles, Ph.D. and M.S. in Computer Science (advisor: Prof. Richard Korf).
- Harvard University, A.B. in Computer Science
Artificial Intelligence, Heuristic Search, Planning, Constraint Programming, Parallel Programming, Combinatorial Optimization, Metaheuristics, Evolutionary Computation, Autonomous Robotics, and Spacecraft Autonomy.
Program Committee Member (partial list):
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI): Program Committee:2009-2013, Senior Program Committee:2016
- AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI): 2006-2012,2014-2017
- International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS): 2010-2012,2014-2017
- Annual Symposium on Combinatorial Search (SoCS): 2012-2017
- Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO): 1999-2002, 2007-2013
- International Conference on Integration of Artificial Intelligence and Operations Research Techniques in Constraint Programming (CPAIOR): 2013
- International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS) 2011,2012
- International Lisp Conference (ILC): 2010, 2012
- AAAI-2015 Workshop on Planning, Search, and Optimization (PlanSOpt-15)
- CL-MPI - A portable, Common Lisp binding for the Message Pasing Interface (MPI). Enables message-passing based parallel Common Lisp programming on either a cluster or a single multi-core machine.